Thursday, September 27, 2007

1,2,3,8

tell me, please.
what is under the eyes and the heart and the brain and the ____
that possesses you to (constantly) make me
[melt.]

(and i don't even know you.)

"it's this time of year," she replied, "you know, the 'i'm going to hold you tighter because it's colder and that's what we do in front of fireplaces while drinking hot cocoa and dreaming about how this is never ever ever ever going to end.' and, yeah, that's why."

oh, but for as much as this is luring me, i cannot fall back in.
(fall back into what created my idea of love:lost:ow)
and if i'm jaded then please tell me because for as much as i think i am not, maybe that means i am.

is not having time the excuse, or is it really the reason?
excuse/reason. [difference?]
maybe that all depends on which side of the fence you are on.
you know, the...optimistic/pessimistic perspective PERSUASION shit.

SHIT!

"being alone isn't that bad," i replied, "i guess, well, i mean, who needs another's heart when you have one of your own?"


1 comment:

mattaustinphoto said...

I was just writing about something like this. This might be a wrong place to respond to something like that, in this way, but really I don't care. So, to respond, then..

I think the more accurate way we respond to situations of potential relationships in what you mentioned as excuse/reason to not pursue it, I'd say the majority of the time it has much more to do with fear than anything. Fear based on "feeling" and experience. It seems like we use the words "feel/feeling/felt" when we're unsure about something. 'This doesn't feel right,' 'I feel like you don't understand,' 'That hurt my feelings.' I think we tend to stress that word in a defensive manner because no one can take a feeling away from us (generally), whereas if you expressed a thought, they can either make an opinion or change your mind (or neither). However, the two ways of speaking bring about a strange difference, for a random example:

"I think that you're misunderstanding the point..."

"I feel like you're misunderstanding the point..."

They both are trying to say the same thing, yet one comes out with a much more abrasive connotation. Where I was going with it was the fact that we place a large importance on something that we have a terrible time defining exactly what it is: a feeling. However, if you're going to base your action or inaction (pursuit or not) on a feeling, we may trust that more than analyzing it and ruling out things based on what's happened "before." I mean, in this case, I think it's entirely possible that you might be not allowing yourself to feel enough and thinking too much. Sure, we leave an open door to vulnerability when we pursue these types of situations, but that's only because we're coming up with our own definition and expectations for the secondary title of this new person in our lives (i.e. boyfriend, girlfriend, best friend..). If we were to not give them the title, the expectations wouldn't be expected, therefore leaving little room for hurt. But then again, it's just a title, we don't need to pair any expectations with it, right? We could probably just go about it based on feel instead of thought and leave things undefined.